"I know you've been wondering why I am doing this. But i have to. I have to move on.... I thought about it. Not once.. but a zillion times. It would have never worked. Never. I know you feel that i used you... and that i am the meanest person on the face of Earth to be doing this to you."
She looked out of the window, fighting the urge to hate herself.
"I was rude, I know... Cruel at times... Treated you as if you meant nothing to me... But I really liked you. And that's it. There were times when I questioned whether it was love or an honestly non platonic piece of feeling... It wasn't love for sure. Maybe it was just a wish to keep all that was mine tightly packed in a box. Whether that was necessary or not."
"Life would be the same without you. I promise. I would get up like everyday.. go to work... come back.. crib.. be my Crabby self and be happy. I promise. And you have to promise me something. Let's play God for once. Let's forget that we were together. Let's forget the first time i had seen you. Let's forget the hours that you clung on to my ears as I happily told myself that I am beautiful. I don't want to say sorry. This was what it was going to be. Both of us knew it. I knew it the very time I lost a piece of you to the sands of the ocean... Let's face it."
She looked at the cone shaped brass earring... wishing she hadn't lost its pair. She held it gingerly between her fingers.. and brought it close to her right earlobe...
"And a number of years hence, if I accidentally find you amidst the sundries in the box, I would want you to smile at me and tell me I am still beautiful. I know you'll do that for me."
Carefully placing it back into the box, she fingered her new pair of earrings... They gleamed in the evening sun that trickled into her room from the glass window to the right of the mirror. She was going to wear them tonight. Not the brass earring. She sighed.
thakk gaya hoon main ... tumhaari writing ki tareef karrte karrte .. for once kuch ekdum ganda likho ..so that i can criticise for a change.
ReplyDeletenicely written.... the way u started it looked like it was some break-up story ..only to change the course towards something interesting later on.. good one hai :)
Nicely written and that is obvious (from you).
ReplyDeleteLekin drama thoda jyada ho gaya :P